Jazz and Cricket – An Unlikely Combination
A new book by Matthew Wright
Published by Cadillac Music & Publishing Ltd.
75pp including colour and black and white photographs
Available from our store and many fine book and record shops, including but not limited to:
Foyles – 2.5 miles from Lords Cricket Ground
The Bookshop on the Green – 1.5 miles from Edgbaston Cricket Ground
Head Records – 1 mile from Leamington Cricket Club
Kirkdale Bookshop – 5 miles from The Oval Cricket Ground
Roger Page Cricket Books – 17km from Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG)
“the most outré title I’ve come across recently and also one of the year’s most unexpected joys was Matthew Wright’s brief and marvellous Jazz and Cricket. Any book that gives Frank Parr his due and mentions the other Charlie Parker is to be welcomed. ‘Oh, play that thing!'”
– Paul Edwards, The Cricketer Books of the Year
Links between cricket and music have been written about at some length, as has the importance of calypso, but little has appeared to document the affinity between cricket and jazz.
This book redresses the balance with reference to those involved in both, through history and anecdotes, and in the social background of their parallel development.
- the saxophonist who took a Test match hat-trick
- the jazz club that made the West Indian team honorary members
- the trombonist tipped as a future England wicket-keeper
- the bowler who became a highly regarded bassist in New York
- the tenor player who wrote a tune dedicated to spin bowler Jim Laker
- the Indian batsman who was given a signed photo by Ella Fitzgerald
…and much more!
*subject to Covid 19 restrictions…